Career Planning and Development
Two paradigms have been shattered forever - the job-for-life paradigm and the loyalty-to-employer paradigm. The job marketplace of today is filled with insecurity and uncertainty - both on the part of the employer and the employee.
The renewed focus on career management stems from an understanding that:
- Any business strategy has underlying talent challenges (having the right people, with the right capabilities in the right jobs at the right time to deliver strategic objectives)
- Competency-development is a prerequisite for comparative advantage in a rapidly changing business landscape
- The nature of work has changed as has the nature of the workforce
- The individual's ability to secure | retain employment or earn revenue (outside of corporate structures) is dependent on having saleable skills, knowledge and expertise - competence for which there is a demand in a knowledge economy.
Our interactive workshops, which cater to the needs of different talent segments, will:
- Clarify commonly used terminology (e.g. career ladder, career lattice)
- Describe the new reality (which is all about employability)
- Explore a career management model
- Propose a framework for the design of a Career Development Plan (CDP)
- Introduce guidelines for conducting conversations about performance and development
- Discuss acceleration strategies for developing self and others (including effective methods of learning)
- Unpack strategies to transfer knowledge
- Highlight the importance of career planning and on-going development.
Following workshop-attendance, attendees should be able to:
- As a leader, Approach conversations with employees about performance and development with confidence
- Design an CDP (for self and assist others)
- Take charge of their own careers
- Assist others in career management (e.g. own team)
Conversations about Performance and Development
These conversations are much like performance discussions, but with a wider focus. It focuses on the future, rather than the past, but it does link current performance to aspirations, as well as competency strengths and gaps for current and next level roles.
The aim of these conversations is to clarify goals, personal strengths and development needs and to agree on an action plan that will stimulate career growth in line with the individual's needs and personal circumstances, as well as the requirements and challenges of possible next-level roles.
Targeted at leaders at all levels, these 'how-to-conduct-this-conversation' workshops employ experiential learning to develop this particular competency.
These workshops usually form part of a strategy to foster a culture of learning and self-management.
TALENT MANAGEMENT SERVICES
Talent management is essentially about making informed choices as to where to invest time, effort and money in driving organisational outcomes. It is also about having the right people intelligence about how the organisation is performing in relation to the various talent and risk management processes.
Strategy ConsultingSuccessful and growing companies not only need to develop the talent capacity to deal with their business today, and the likely business shape of tomorrow, but they also need to develop capacity that will enable the business to tackle challenges that will develop in the future, but which are not yet apparent.
Talent MeasurementHigh potential employees increase revenue and profit by developing effective ideas and strategies, winning support for them, and inspiring others to get them implemented. They cut through bureaucracy and complexity, bring ideas to market quickly, meet commitments, and reduce costs.
Process Re-engineeringFor a company to exploit its employer brand effectively when it fishes for talent, it must think of recruits as customers, use sophisticated marketing analyses to identify its key rivals, determine which corporate attributes matter most to specific types of recruits, and understand how best to reach them.
SolutionsThe Talent Institute provides specific solutions that compliment our core services, from strategy design to talent development, risk intelligence, transition coaching and executive conversations.
Audits and SurveysA capability audit (also referred to as an organisational X-ray, layered talent review, or a human capital due diligence) is a comprehensive audit of capability at all levels of leaders and managers.
WorkshopsCareer planning and development workshops coupled with workshops on how to conduct conversations about performance and development for managers are very powerful tools in the talent management arenas.
TALENT MANAGEMENT PRODUCTS
Talent Management Master Class
Succession Planning and Leader Development
Talent Management Strategy
Selecting the next CEO
About Assessment and Development Centres
Establishing and Operating an Assessment Centre Unit
Leader Capability Audit